Better Techniques and Tips for Kick Drum to Sound Good
The kick drum techniques include a right mix of saturation, equalizer, and compression. This will give a nice separation or the definition of Mixing kick drum. The kick is an important factor in many musical scenarios. The right mix of the kick can be challenging as enhancement or shaping of the kick is a vital part. Let us now see some of the best tips and techniques on how to mix a kick drum.
The application of distortion or the saturation to the kick helps in highlighting the “Harmonic Frequencies.” It also helps in improving the presence and thickening of the overall sound. This helps in the great mixing of the kick drums and provides a considerable punch to the kick.
The saturation helps in gluing the layered kicks of the drum together that creates a more unified sound while using the kick drum. Further, the sound translates better through the small speakers of the speakers or the laptops. One can even use the third-party plugins to create a great mix.
In the process of enhancing your kicks, one might try various frequency ranges. The person can also use the “digital parametric” EQ to address various frequencies. Some of the ranges are:
- Using a Clarity Filter: The use of high-pass filter can clean the kick drum’s low-end. The filtering below 50Hz will make the cleaning right.
- Sort out Boominess: In order to avoid the Boominess of the kick drum, one can cut around 200 to 250 Hz. In case, you notice any kind of muddiness in the sound.
- Focus on Low–End Thump: One must notice the low-end in the Equalization if the kick does not possess necessary bass. A lower shelving boost of 80 to 100 Hz will do the needful.
- Cut Boxiness: It should be cut when it goes from 300 to 600 Hz or so on.
- Filter the High-End: If you do not require the high-end sound while mixing kick drum, then filter it down to nearly 10 kHz.
Tuning the Kick Drum
It is necessary to tune the kick while mixing to the tune of your track that will make the sound harmonic and pleases the kick drum mix. In this technique, one needs to find the ‘root note’ of their track and mix it with the note of the kick.
Check out our other articles to further deepen your knowledge of how to create beats!
How We Can Help You
In creating music, samples are necessary. Get a package of free samples from us! Not enough? Check our sound kits and get inspired.
Do you already have a created production and want to turn it into a real masterpiece before selling it? We can help you with this too! Check this page and send us the paths, and we will make sure that your beats sound as good as possible!
A good producer can work out on the kick while compressing few decibels to make it sound consistent that can start with the ratio of 4:1. In rock and pop kick, use 6:1 ratio to achieve the consistency in the sound. The producer can use different compression plugins to achieve a great sound.
To conclude, the producer must keep the EQs, frequencies, Saturation, Compression, etc. according to the kick drum pitch. This will help in creating great music.
Now you know how to use kick drum. Congratulations! Grab free sample pack, create a new beat today and send it to us – We will turn it into a real masterpiece!
Tomek from Hugiz Records